1. The set of actors who could have appeared in the film includes John Belushi, Eddie Murphy, John Candy, Paul Reubens, Christopher Walken, John Lithgow, Christopher Lloyd, Jeff Goldblum, Michael Keaton and Sandra Bernhard.
2. All the marshmallow goo was actually shaving cream.
3. The movie’s line “Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria!” was voted #68 of “The 100 Greatest Movie Lines” by Premiere in 2007.
4. Bill Murray agreed to do this movie only on the condition that Columbia finance a remake of The Razor’s Edge with him as the star. The remake was made!
5. In the original draft, sexual obscenities were written on Peter Venkman’s door, but Ivan Reitman wanted the film’s target audience to be families, so the phrase “Venkman Burn in Hell” was added instead. In fact, this is a nod to the final scene in Stephen King’s Carrie, where someone graffitied a for sale sign with “Carrie Burn in Hell” on the vacant lot where her house once stood.
6. Did you ever notice that Larry King, Debbie Gibson, Ron Jeremy and Casey Kasem appeared in the film?
7. The movie’s line “Well, there’s something you don’t see every day.” was voted #19 of “The 100 Greatest Movie Lines” by Premiere in 2007.
8. The beautiful woman ghost in Dan Aykroyd’s dream is actually his real-life wife and ex-model Donna Dixon.
9. “Slimer” got his name from fans of the movie. He was known as “onion head” on set, since he smelled so badly.
10. It’s available now for the first time on Blu-ray. Download it today!